How to validate already signed documents?
Dokobit is eIDAS certified qualified e-signatures and e-seals validation service provider. In the Dokobit portal, you can easily validate signed documents and receive validation reports. In other words, you can confirm the legitimacy of the signatures in the document according to the eIDAS Regulation (Regulation (EU) N°910/2014). More information about eIDAS regulation can be found here.
In this article:
Briefly about the service
According to eIDAS regulation, validation is a supplementary service for electronic signatures and seals. It shows whether the signature or seal was valid from the time of their creation up until the moment of validation. In other words, you will need to validate already e-signed or e-sealed documents received from other parties to make sure the signatures or seals in them are valid.
There are two types of electronic signatures and seals you can validate - Advanced and Qualified. Advanced electronic signatures and seals with Qualified certificates are considered as strong evidence in legal proceedings, meanwhile, Qualified electronic signatures and seals comply with the highest eIDAS regulation requirements and therefore have indisputable legal force.
In the Dokobit portal, you can choose whether you would like to validate both Advanced and Qualified electronic signatures and seals in the document or only Qualified electronic signatures and seals. If you choose the first option, it is a less strict validation, where Advanced signatures will be recognised as valid, and the second option is stricter, where only Qualified signatures will be recognised as valid. You can validate document signatures backed by certificates issued within any EU/EEA member state.
As a Qualified Trust Service Provider, we hold full responsibility for the validation results we provide and offer a liability assurance for you in case of discrepancies. This means that you can choose between different liability assurance levels according to your needs. In the portal, you will find two levels: Basic liability and Advanced liability. Basic liability is right for you if minimum assurance is enough, usually in cases when the validity of signatures or seals is not likely to raise disputes. This is a totally free option. Advanced liability is more suitable if you want more assurance for the validity of signatures or seals, usually in cases when the documents are of higher value. Note: Advanced liability option is only available for "Business" and "Enterprise" plan users and each advanced liability validation costs 0,50 EUR + VAT.
You can find more information about the validation of e-signatures and e-seals in our FAQ section.
How to validate a document?
1. Log in to the portal and click the "Validations" button, located at the very top of the page.
2. Click the "New validation". Note: if you have not yet uploaded a document for validation, you will see that there are no validations yet.
If it is not the first document, you will see a list of previously validated documents.
3. Upload a document for validation. There are three ways to upload the document in the section: you can drag and drop it to the grey upload area or you can click on the grey upload area or the "Browse" button to locate and upload a file from your computer. Note: you will need to upload and validate documents one at a time.
4. Select validation policy. Validation policy allows you to choose what kind of signatures and seals should be considered as valid on your signed documents, i. e., only Qualified electronic signatures and seals or in addition to them also Advanced electronic signatures and seals.
5. Select a liability level. Liability level defines the assurance of responsibility taken up by Dokobit as a Qualified Validation Service Provider. Note: to select the advanced liability, it should first need to be enabled. The advanced liability level could only be enabled by the account owner. After it is unlocked, the account owner or users to whom administrator rights were granted could also set the default validation report liability level for all company users. More information could be found here: Default company settings.
Note: if Advanced liability is not enabled, company users will only be able to select Basic liability.
6. Click the "Validate" button.
7. Please wait until your validation report is generated.
How to review a validation report?
8. When the validation report is generated, it will be opened automatically, and you will be able to review it instantly.
9. In the "Overview" section you will see if signatures and seals in this document are valid, validation time, and which validation policy was selected for this document.
10. In the "Signatures" section, all signatures contained in this document will be visible. To see full signature information simply click on the signature you want to check.
11. In the "Details" section you will find additional information, such as validation report ID, validated document hash, liability level that was chosen for this validation report. You will also be able to download diagnostic data in XML format and a detailed validation report.
How to download a validation report?
12. When the validation report is generated, it will be opened automatically, and you will be able to download it right away. To download the validation report to your device, simply click the "Download report" button located in the upper right corner.
13. You will also be able to download the detailed validation report. Select the "Details" section and click the "Download detailed report".