How to start using Latvian eID card or eParaksts (eSignature) card for authentication and document signing?
An identity card (eID card) or eParaksts (eSignature) card, are e-signing tools issued in Latvia that you can use for authentication and document signing.
- eID card - a personal identification document that verifies the holder's identity and legal status. An identity card (eID card) in Latvia is issued by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA). You can find information about the Latvian eID card here.
- eParaksts (eSignature) card - an eSignature carrier available for legal entities which allows signing documents and verifying identity of a person in the digital environment. The eSignature card is issued by SJSC "Latvian State Radio and Television Centre". You can find information about the eParaksts card here.
In order to use the Latvian eID card or eParaksts card for e-services such as user authentication or document signing you would first have to prepare your computer.
1. To use one of the smart cards, you need a smart card reader to connect the smart card to your computer. There are also computers that are already equipped with a smart card reader function - in this case, a separate reader is not required.
2. Please download and install the required software from here if you have not already done so.
3. If the software is already installed and you still can not use e-Signature, please follow the steps below and try again:
- Reinsert the card to the reader and check if the card reader is properly connected to the computer.
- Restart your computer.
- If you still cannot use e-Signature, please contact us.
Login and signing
Usually, to log in or sign documents with an eID card or eParaksts card you will be asked to choose the country, which provided the eID certificate, then in a newly opened window you will have to choose your certificate and confirm the action by entering your PIN code